Graphic novels and lots of books!
I have several Moleskine journals laying around my room, and two mini ones in my handbags for various subjects. Mostly for my writing, short stories, poems, quick notes, witchcraft and a cute black one I use as a journal. I write a lot, and try to write at least a page everyday, whether its a new poem or a shopping list for pay-day, I always have a Moleskine available for my thoughts. I only have one blank notebook, but it is so badly abused that my creative drawing endevours end up on the corner pages of journal entries or random collages, and for that I started looking online for a new Moleskine to order. As I was happily browsing for gifts for myself and a gift or two for a friend I came across their Youtube channel, which lead me onto my new favourite artist, Maykel Nunes. I have been watching the few videos he has up, and checking out his website in pure delight. He is amazing! Check out his website here!
As for his Youtube videos, I just had to share a few of my favourites in a bid to inspire you folks like he has inspired me!
Share the love people!!
As time goes, new vices, trends and habits come along that make us reinvent what we used to assume as never ending. In other words, new films have come along that have made such an impact on my psyche that I just had to re-evaluate my top list. Here is my last official post for you eager film lovers out there. What I’ve done here is a list with another film linked to each, totalling up to 30 films, just in case you want my recommended substitution. I will update annually, so keep an eye out as time goes on. Without further ado, here is my current hit list:
15) The Craft – It is just one of those films that will take you back to a fairly experimental early teen-hood; or at least mine. I had my very early beginnings in wanting to find out about paganism and witchcraft because of this film, and I also saw it as a film that helped spell out teenage angst from the 90s.
Coupled with: Practical Magic
14) Battle Royale – Still one my favourite Japanese film. Since this film I have watched others from various genres, but this film still comes out on top.
Coupled with: Audition
13) Girl, Interrupted – I saw this film at a sleepover and that was when I developed a serious girl crush on Angelina Jolie and her amazing acting style. The book was amazing too, very personal, in depth and totally fucked up – excuse the swearing! In a huge way, being someone who isn’t regarded as 100% normal myself, I was able to connect to this film in a relatable way. It has stuck with me ever since.
12) The Devil Wears Prada – I love fashion, writing and ambition. This film had an easy and fun story and I pick it up every time I need a boost and a break from The Expendables and the Hangover franchise.
Coupled with: Sex and the City Movie & Sex and the City 2
11) Le fabuleux destin d’amélie Poulain – Still one of my all time favourites!! My previous quick review is found on the link in the introduction.
Coupled with: Beautiful Lies
10) In the Loop – Dark satirical film based on the British politics programme The Thick of It from the BBC.
Coupled with: Pretty Persuasion
9) Watchmen – Based on the epic comic book series from an award winning writer with a fetish for very grounded and highly charged individuals. Masterpiece.
Coupled with: Sin City
8) Clash of the Titans – the remake. I love it! It is my guilty pleasure, and the one of the last times I see Peter Postlethwaite – RIP.
Coupled with: Immortals
7) Perfume: Story of a Murderer – Ben Whishaw at his finest. This story is unpredictable, eloquent and just divine. It keeps you hooked from the start, unfolding as each scene rolls on. Utterly mesmerising!
Coupled with: Angels & Demons
6) The Expendables – For me, this is my ideal porn. Hot guys, action heroes I grew up obsessing over in a big fight to the finish. I have been a lover of Stallone since I was small, so anything with him in, I know will be a hit. (Including the sequel out 17 August 2012).
Coupled with: Taken
5) The Hangover – One of my favourite films for sure, and not just because of the amazing story line, the cool cast or the funny quips through-out, but it is just an amazing must-see-before-you-die kind of film!
Coupled with: The Hangover 2
4) Shame – no words can explain here, so read this review.
Coupled with: Scenes of a Sexual Nature
3) Inglorious Basterds – I just love it okay?
Coupled with: Reservoir Dogs
2) The Dark Knight – Well… all of the Batman franchise but this film by far is the best! I’m just sitting here waiting for the 20th July to come so I can see the last instalment. I also love the fact that they filmed some of the factory scenes up the road from me!
Coupled with: Batman Begins
1) Dracula – My most valuable and favourite film ever. If anyone dare tries to do a remake of the Cappola I will cry. I love the book, but most of all Dracula is a true vampire, not the tween glitter remakes in recent years. Sorry folks, but I am keeping it real.
Coupled with: Inglorious Basterds
– Sy x
Shame (2011) is poignant and mesmerising. The story is to the point in subtle and gentle ways, and it has managed to burrow into the mind of a true film story seeker. This film is most definitely one my new favourites, and it is down to the story, the detail of the shots and the amazing acting by Michael Fassbender. If you look into most films these days, there is a lack of brilliant acting; acting that would draw you into a deeper awareness of the characters on screen rather than who is playing them. For that, I highly recommend this film to true film lovers – of all genres!
The score and the music selections heard throughout the film go hand in hand in such a manner that you would instantly recognise the film, and feel the emotion of each scene. Each track is a way to narrow in on the mindset of each character, like the constant teasing of words from each song played when Brandon’s sister Sissy pops up. I loved how the shots open up the stirrings of Brandon’s character, one major example would be the scenes when he is mostly on his own, he is centred perfectly, but in other scenes when he is quite erratic the shots are unstable mimicking his emotional instability – the lack of control you miss when spending time with an unsuspected addict.
I have heard too many times that people will only see films with their favourite actors or directors, I do it too but every once in a while you come across an actor who really shakes you with his performance. For me, and for the sake of their acting and their ability to bring a character into your living room, Ben Whishaw (The Hollow Crown: Richard II, Perfume: Story of a Murderer) and Michael Fassbender shock the living daylights out of me. Shame is amazing. Fassbender is amazing. More importantly Brandon is unnerving. His addiction and the sexual scenes are pure art from where I stand. I felt profound sadness when watching Brandon unfold as the film rolled on, as he is not what most people would assume a sex addict would be. The story dealt with the pressures, stresses and possible reason behind his addiction, but from his point of view, the view that is often overlooked and I found this tremendous. Steve McQueen did an excellent job here, detailing the suffering that this lone man feels. I guess, as a young woman and a social animal, I never thought having a sex addiction was so lonely and so sad – I just want to give Brandon a hug.
I don’t want to give too much away, and I’m sure there are lots I would happily tell you all, but this is a film you need to see at least three times before you judge it. Seriously go buy it, enjoy it and have an open mind. Hopefully, you will be blown away like I was. For now, enjoy the trailer so it can wet your lips, and later wait with me on Steve McQueen’s next film 12 Years a Slave.
I am so excited for the latest comic book hero films coming out this year. The Dark Knight Rises and the film below. I just hope I can find the right person to go see them with =P
I wrote a post a long time ago detailing my love for Dredd… hell know’s where it is now =P
PS. Sorry for not keeping up to date! I will soon! I have been filming like crazy, but as I don’t have the internet, the videos end up going nowhere. Fashion and Comic book haul coming soon! Along with a tattoo video!
I just had to post this:
This is already at the top of my Summer Playlist for 2012. I know its well known already, but I love it =P
I have gone further into my new addiction that is the DC relaunch. So far the titles I have are as follows:
and last but sadly I won’t be continuing, Superman (deciding not to continue with this series was a hard choice to make, but I have my reasons). Go to DC Comics website for lots of information and free downloads!
For now, I am trauling the net for video reviews on various titles I’ve been recommended and one is from this dude:
Here’s his video, and I am adding the series to my list! Yay!
Normally I’d look at lots of other blogs for inspiration and ideas into what new skills I can achieve for the first month of the New Year. A month seems short but in reality there aren’t many people who actually fulfil their New Year’s resolutions, and knowing me I’ll start something and within 2 weeks move onto something else… This leaves my original plan floating in suspended orbit around my head. One example of this would be my super random and weird videos that not only boring and long, but incredibly unorganised and messy. They make total sense to me, but a lot of other people do leave after 2 minutes thinking up ways to eradicate the trauma they’ve just let themselves into. I shall be trying to make my videos more ‘hip’ so audiences will benefit from a lively person rather than a boring old moo. [I have noticed the amount of zazz and good looks on Youtube, and since I am no sexy blonde or brunette so I shall have to rely on my va-va-voom].
I’m still new to blogging about other topics that inspire me, as I’m doing a little better than okay on my other blog and channel. I know what I want to do for this blog, but so far it’s been a test. It’s been working quite well, and I want to keep it up. I don’t have a schedule, but I would like to focus on a series of topics each month alongside my film music, fashion, food and book/comic reviews. So far, porn will find its way on my agenda as it’s something I don’t know much about and I would like to make up my own mind about it and what it presents to people. I also want to read up on various articles and write my response here, as the space they give for writing comments is still small and I have a lot to say (sometimes). Who knows? I just hope this will be Harlequin’s year.
For this year, well every year in general I have written up resolutions that I intend to keep. I make it a rule that I can add or take away suggestions at any time during January, with the knowledge that I can create a very realistic list. I don’t put things like ‘Climb Mt. Everest’ or state that I want to lose another stone, because those won’t work for me. I love Snickers, Chomp and white chocolate, other than that, I dislike chocolate. I put things like ‘Get a new tattoo’ or ‘Compile new recipes and try at least half of them.’ I enjoy writing lists, followings lists and organising lists. This year I shall share with you my top 5 resolutions which include one thing that may not happen for my arty and culture obsessed life. Another 5 will be located on my other blog here.
Top 5 Harlequin Resolutions
- Build up more of a repertoire! Only two of my videos has been successful as information videos, so I can work on this.
- Finish college, and prepare for my last year next year whilst applying for university for the 50th time.
- Get my own place to live, and turn it into a creative pad.
- Own 10 pairs of Dr. Martens (I’m just over half way…)
- Dye my hair and reinvent my wardrobe for the summer!
I have many more listed in my journal. This year I need a complete renovation. I need to be more spunky, fun, crazy and wild!
What are your resolutions?