As time goes, new vices, trends and habits come along that make us reinvent what we used to assume as never ending. In other words, new films have come along that have made such an impact on my psyche that I just had to re-evaluate my top list. Here is my last official post for you eager film lovers out there. What I’ve done here is a list with another film linked to each, totalling up to 30 films, just in case you want my recommended substitution. I will update annually, so keep an eye out as time goes on. Without further ado, here is my current hit list:
15) The Craft – It is just one of those films that will take you back to a fairly experimental early teen-hood; or at least mine. I had my very early beginnings in wanting to find out about paganism and witchcraft because of this film, and I also saw it as a film that helped spell out teenage angst from the 90s.
Coupled with: Practical Magic
14) Battle Royale – Still one my favourite Japanese film. Since this film I have watched others from various genres, but this film still comes out on top.
Coupled with: Audition
13) Girl, Interrupted – I saw this film at a sleepover and that was when I developed a serious girl crush on Angelina Jolie and her amazing acting style. The book was amazing too, very personal, in depth and totally fucked up – excuse the swearing! In a huge way, being someone who isn’t regarded as 100% normal myself, I was able to connect to this film in a relatable way. It has stuck with me ever since.
12) The Devil Wears Prada – I love fashion, writing and ambition. This film had an easy and fun story and I pick it up every time I need a boost and a break from The Expendables and the Hangover franchise.
Coupled with: Sex and the City Movie & Sex and the City 2
11) Le fabuleux destin d’amélie Poulain – Still one of my all time favourites!! My previous quick review is found on the link in the introduction.
Coupled with: Beautiful Lies
10) In the Loop – Dark satirical film based on the British politics programme The Thick of It from the BBC.
Coupled with: Pretty Persuasion
9) Watchmen – Based on the epic comic book series from an award winning writer with a fetish for very grounded and highly charged individuals. Masterpiece.
Coupled with: Sin City
8) Clash of the Titans – the remake. I love it! It is my guilty pleasure, and the one of the last times I see Peter Postlethwaite – RIP.
Coupled with: Immortals
7) Perfume: Story of a Murderer – Ben Whishaw at his finest. This story is unpredictable, eloquent and just divine. It keeps you hooked from the start, unfolding as each scene rolls on. Utterly mesmerising!
Coupled with: Angels & Demons
6) The Expendables – For me, this is my ideal porn. Hot guys, action heroes I grew up obsessing over in a big fight to the finish. I have been a lover of Stallone since I was small, so anything with him in, I know will be a hit. (Including the sequel out 17 August 2012).
Coupled with: Taken
5) The Hangover – One of my favourite films for sure, and not just because of the amazing story line, the cool cast or the funny quips through-out, but it is just an amazing must-see-before-you-die kind of film!
Coupled with: The Hangover 2
4) Shame – no words can explain here, so read this review.
Coupled with: Scenes of a Sexual Nature
3) Inglorious Basterds – I just love it okay?
Coupled with: Reservoir Dogs
2) The Dark Knight – Well… all of the Batman franchise but this film by far is the best! I’m just sitting here waiting for the 20th July to come so I can see the last instalment. I also love the fact that they filmed some of the factory scenes up the road from me!
Coupled with: Batman Begins
1) Dracula – My most valuable and favourite film ever. If anyone dare tries to do a remake of the Cappola I will cry. I love the book, but most of all Dracula is a true vampire, not the tween glitter remakes in recent years. Sorry folks, but I am keeping it real.
Coupled with: Inglorious Basterds
– Sy x